Undergraduate Certificate Option
The Computational Science and Engineering certificate program is designed to provide undergraduate students an opportunity to develop a solid base in problem solving using computation as a major tool for modeling complicated problems in science and engineering. Students wishing to pursue the CSE certificate program are required to register.
CSE does not offer admission to the university. Our undergraduate certificate option is an add-on only available to students who are currently enrolled in a participating undergraduate degree program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (see below for list of participating departments). Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in any course used to fulfill the CSE undegraduate certificate requirement.
How to Register
Students currently enrolled in one of the participating departments can register for the CSE undergraduate Certification Option by completing the CSE Registration Form (must log in with university credentials).
Participating Departments - Coursework Requirements:
Each participating department has a set of specific coursework that students must satisfy to complete the CSE Certificate Option. The certificate program is designed so that it can fit within the required courses in the students’ home department without the need of taking additional hours that are distinct from required coursework. Please click on the link corresponding to your department to find out the coursework leading to certificate completion. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in any course used to fulfill the CSE undegraduate certificate requirement.
- CSE Certificate in Aerospace Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Astronomy
- CSE Certificate in Atmospheric Sciences
- CSE Certficate in Bioengineering
- CSE Certificate in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Chemistry
- CSE Certificate in Computer Science
- CSE Certificate in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Industrial Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Integrative Biology
- CSE Certificate in General Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Math
- CSE Certificate in Mechanical Science and Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Materials Science and Engineering
- CSE Certificate in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- CSE Certificate in Nuclear Engineering (NPRE)
- CSE Certificate in Statistics
- CSE Certificate in Physics
Program Completion-How do I Get my Certificate?
Once you have completed the certification requirement, the student must submit a CSE Approval Form (must log in with university credentials). You are not eligible to elect this concentration if you have completed all the required coursework before you enroll in the concentration. Concentrations are not awarded retroactively.
The approval form requires that you attach a copy of your DARS report. The DARS report is an audit of your records indicating what classes you have taken. You will need to have received letter grades in all your CSE concentration requirement courses. Please highlight the courses you took to satisfy the certificate option before attaching the DARS report. Certificates are issued three times per year: during the first weeks of December, May, and August.